Grey-capped Hemispingus (Kleinothraupis reyi): Revise global status?

Red List Team (BirdLife International)

Grey-capped Hemispingus (Kleinothraupis reyi): Revise global status?

5 thoughts on “Grey-capped Hemispingus (Kleinothraupis reyi): Revise global status?

1. The change in status may well be merited. I have no way to check the analysis, but I offer just one cautionary remark that applies to all species in the Venezuelan Andes (Mérida and Táchira as well as Perijá): Grallaria excelsa, Grallaria saltuensis, Kleinothraupis reyi. As I pointed out for Scytalopus perjianus in last year’s assessment process (please refer to my comments there), the Global Forest Watch data seem anomalous, too optimistic and markedly at odds with existing satellite studies and ground-truth data. Since then I have been made aware of further significant increases in agricultural activity within and bordering strict protected areas (IUCN Cat II national parks) and resulting habitat losses, while government management has never been so ineffective. Although large areas of forest remain within the species’ range, much of which is legally designated within those national parks, I find it very difficult to believe that rates of forest loss are ‘negligible’ given the ongoing agricultural boom and lack of enforcement. Instead I tend to think that this is more likely an artefact of GFW analysis or failure to detect widespread but small-scale deforestation.

2. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. We greatly appreciate the time and effort invested in commenting. The window for consultation is now closed and we are unable to accept any more comments until 18 July 2022. We will now analyse and interpret the new information, and we will post a preliminary decision on this species’ Red List status on this page on 18 July 2022, when discussions will re-open.

3. Preliminary proposal

Based on information from Global Forest Watch (2022), the rate of tree cover loss is negligible, not exceeding or approaching the threshold for listing as threatened under Criterion A. We would however greatly appreciate any indication where to obtain additional information from existing satellite studies and ground-truthed data. To account for the impact of habitat degradation outside of protected areas within its small range and applying a precautionary approach, our preliminary proposal would be to list Grey-capped Hemispingus as Near Threatened, approaching the threshold for listing as threatened under Criterion B1b(iii).

There is now a period for further comments until the final deadline on 24 July 2022, after which the recommended categorisations will be put forward to IUCN. The final 2022.2 Red List categories will be published on the BirdLife and IUCN websites in December 2022, following further checking of information relevant to the assessments by both BirdLife and IUCN.

4. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. We greatly appreciate the time and effort invested in commenting. The window for consultation is now closed and we are unable to accept any more comments. We will post a final decision on this species’ Red List status on this page on 1 August 2022.

5. Recommended categorisation to be put forward to IUCN

The final categorisation for this species has not changed. Grey-capped Hemispingus is recommended to be listed as Near Threatened, approaching the threshold for listing as threatened under Criterion B1b(iii).

Many thanks for everyone who contributed to the 2022.2 GTB Forum process. The final 2022.2 Red List categories will be published on the BirdLife and IUCN websites in December 2022, following further checking of information relevant to the assessments by both BirdLife and IUCN.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *