Tytler’s Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus tytleri): Revise global status?

Red List Team (BirdLife International)

Tytler’s Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus tytleri): Revise global status?

7 thoughts on “Tytler’s Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus tytleri): Revise global status?

1. While I agree that there’s no reason to believe that the species is declining, there’s certainly a possibility that there are less than 10,000 mature individuals. It is true that the species’ breeding range extends east from Kashmir into Uttarakhand but this appears to be along a very narrow altitudinal band in the eastern parts (2500m+). And species that only breed at such altitudes are likely to be sensitive to climate change.

They winter at hilltops in peninsular India but are generally in low densities everywhere except the topmost Shola forests of the central and southern Western Ghats. Where again we only rarely encounter large numbers. Also note that they do not winter in Sri Lanka.

My point is that we cannot say for sure that there are more than 10,000 individuals and we cannot say anything about their population trends. Shouldn’t the species then be Data Deficient? In that we have distribution data but not enough data to assess its status with any confidence.

2. I’ve found the species is highly localised in areas of its breeding range I have visited in the western Himalaya, primarily due to the required of a lush understorey, with saplings where it sings and breeds in these small clearings. It’s habitat is severely fragmented due to over-grazing in these areas, and clearings with a high level of grazing I’ve found the species to be totally absent, like several western Himalayan species. I would be uncomfortable and wary of such a down-listing – this micro-habitat is under threat, and not something that would noticed without on-the-ground recording of its habitat niche.

3. The species is a regular passage migrant during spring in Dehradun/ Tehri Garhwal District in Uttarakhand state in the Western Himalayas, India, where it can be observed nectaring on bottle brush & coral tree blossoms (garden ornamentals and road side plantations) at lower elevations (600-1000m) and Rhododendron arboreum blossoms in the moist temperate forests (1800-2200m) almost for a month (from late March till the third week of in the April). My data for 2019; 2016 suggests that it was as common as before 2006; 2007. To me the status should remain unaltered. I agree with James that anthropogenic pressures in its breeding range remain the same or have increased ,as human & livestock population and urbanization continues to grow in the higher Himalayan ranges.

4. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. We greatly appreciate the time and effort invested by so many people in commenting. The window for consultation is now closed and we are unable to accept any more comments until 21 February 2022. We will now analyse and interpret the new information, and we will post a preliminary decision on this species’s Red List status on this page on 21 February 2022, when discussions will re-open.

5. Preliminary proposal

Based on available information, our preliminary proposal for the 2022.1 Red List would be to adopt the proposed classifications outlined in the initial forum discussion.

There is now a period for further comments until the final deadline on 27 February 2022, after which the recommended categorisations will be put forward to IUCN.

The final 2022.1 Red List categories will be published on the BirdLife and IUCN websites in July 2022, following further checking of information relevant to the assessments by both BirdLife and IUCN.

6. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. We greatly appreciate the time and effort invested by so many people in commenting. The window for consultation is now closed and we are unable to accept any more comments. We will analyse and interpret the new information, and we will post a final decision on this species’ Red List status on this page on 7 March 2022.

7. Recommended categorisation to be put forward to IUCN

The final categorisation for this species has not changed. Tytler’s Leaf-warbler is recommended to be listed as Least Concern.

Many thanks for everyone who contributed to the 2022.1 GTB Forum process. The final 2022.1 Red List categories will be published on the BirdLife and IUCN websites in July 2022, following further checking of information relevant to the assessments by both BirdLife and IUCN.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *